Dr. Barbara Weissman
I am honored to run for Area 6 Trustee.
I have just started my term as Area Representative to the
APA Assembly and am enjoying it immensely. I am an APA
Foundation Ambassador and part of APA's woman's committee,
recently coauthored a paper on paid parental leave, and
have previously co-written other action papers. I love
leading within the area and networking outside of it. I
am a past CPA president and have remained connected to my
district branch, attending many monthly council meetings.
I believe in building consensus, and have always strived
to do so, even on controversial issues such as when I
chaired the Assembly reference committee that dealt with
the public health issues of firearms where I worked to
build common ground from initially very different
In organized medicine I am on the CMA Board of Trustees
and am a recent chair of the Specialty delegation. I have
attended council meetings of many of the other medical
specialties and learned of the issues they face. My
experience goes back more than twenty years, including
being chair of the resident's section of CMA, and a
delegate for CMA to the AMA. I was also on our state
Mental Health Planning Council for 6 years and served in
leadership positions there. These positions help me
understand the perspective of other allied groups that are
involved with health and mental health care. I have
worked to communicate what I learn through summaries to
our delegation and articles in CPA and local county
medical society newsletters. I believe one of my
strengths is understanding the issues of psychiatry within
the larger context of medicine.
I am just starting as Area Representative
and would love to be your trustee in the future but am
qualified and willing to serve if elected now.
Barbara Yates Weissman, M.D.
October 20, 2018
San Mateo County Behavioral Health And Recovery
Older Adult System of Integrated Services (OASIS)
2000 Alameda de las Pulgas, Suite 240
San Mateo, CA 94403
B.S. Biological Sciences (with distinction), Stanford
M.S. Industrial Engineering
Stanford University, 1985
M.D. Harvard Medical School 1989
Diplomat of the National Board of Medical Examiners 7/1/90
California State Medical License 8/91, DEA License 3/92
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, certificate #43198, 11/96
(Ten Year Recertification in 2006, 2016)
California Public Protection and Physician Health, Inc, Certificate
for Evaluation of Health Care Professionals, 12/14
1989 (July) - 1990(June)
Intern, Internal Medicine
Children's Hospital of San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94118
1990(July) - 1992(June)
Post Graduate Fellowship, Radiation Oncology
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94143
1992(July) - 1995(July)
Neuropsychiatric Fellowship starting 7/94
Stanford University School of Medicine
Department of Psychiatry
Stanford, CA 94305
1996(July) - Present
Psychiatrist, Senior Faculty, Senior Mental Health Services
San Mateo County Mental Health Services
San Mateo, CA
2015(June) – Present
Contract Psychiatrist, Central Wellness and Benefits
County of Santa Clara
San Jose, CA
1995(December) - 1996(June)
Psychiatrist, Day Treatment Program
Miramonte Mental Health
Palo Alto, CA
1993(July) - 1998
Physician Specialist, Psychiatric Emergency Service
San Francisco General Hospital
San Francisco, CA
1993(July) - 1997
Contract Psychiatrist, County of Santa Clara
San Jose, CA
I also review a few cases for the Medical Board of California each
year (2009 – present)
Honors And Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa honor society, since 1985
- Awarded NIH Training Grant funding for research (7/90-7/92)
- Awarded American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and
- Oncology Fellowship, support for research (7/91 - 7/92)
- Resident Teaching Award, San Mateo County, 2001
- Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association, 2004
- Outstanding Achievement Award, 2014, Northern California
- Psychiatric Society
- Outstanding Faculty Award, San Mateo County, 2017
- President's Appreciation Award, California Psychiatric
- Association, 2018
- APA Warren Williams Award, 2018
Membership In Professional Societies
- American Medical Association
- California Medical Association
- San Mateo County Medical Association
- American Psychiatric Association
- California Psychiatric Association
- Northern California Psychiatric Association
- San Mateo Psychiatric Society
- California Medical Association, Board of Trustees, 10/15-
- California Medical Association, Specialty Delegation, Executive Committee including Chair (2011) and Past Chair, 3/01 until 10/15.
- California Psychiatric Association, President Elect/President/Past President, 5/08 – 5/14.
- CPA Committees including Government Affairs, Annual Meeting, Public Psychiatry, and Newsletter, 5/08-present
- American Psychiatric Association, Assembly Representative, 5/06 – 5/08, 2011 –2014.
- American Psychiatric Association Assembly Executive Committee 5/08- 5/10 and 6/14 -.
- Professional Provider, State Mental Health Planning Council, 2000 -06.
- Vice Chair, Older Adults Committee, MHPC, 2001, Chair 2002 -3.
- Chair, Nominating Committee, MHPC, 2003.
- SB639 Task Force for Care for Dementia Patients, 2002.
- California Medical Association: Women Physicians' Committee 1997-99
- CMA: Professional Liability Committee 3/99 – 3/05.
- CMA: Committee to Study the Board of Trustees 1998
- Psychiatric Foundation of Northern California, Board 1/98 – 12/00, 6/03 – 12/04
- Psychiatric Foundation of Northern Calif., Vice President 1/99 – 6/00
- San Mateo County Medical Assoc., Board Member, 2018 -
- San Mateo County Medical Assoc., Professional Relations Committee 1997-2012
- San Mateo County Medical Assoc., Legislative Committee 2002 - 2012.
- San Mateo County Medical Assoc., Ethics Committee 2014- 2017.
- San Mateo Psychiatric Society Sec/Treasurer/Pres Elect 12/97 – 5/00
- San Mateo Psychiatric Society President 5/00 - 5/01.
- Northern California Psychiatric Society Councilor 5/00 – 5/01.
- NCPS President Elect 5/01 - 5/02; President 5/02 - 5/03 .
- NCPS Professional Education Committee, 2005-2006.
- California Psychiatric Association, Chair Nominating Committee 2003.
- California Coalition for Mental Health, CPA Representative 1999 – 2000.
- Alt. Delegate to AMA's Young Physicians Section 12/96, 12/97.
- Delegate, California, to AMA's YPS (delegation vice chair) 1998 –2000.
- Credentials Committee AMA Young Physician Section, 12/98
- Alt. Delegate, Young Physicians Section CMA 3/96; Delegate 3/97-00.
- Executive Committee, Young Physicians Section CMA 1998 –2001.
- Delegate, CMA for the California Psychiatric Association 3/99 – 3/02
- Alt. Delegate, CMA for CPA, 3/96 –3/98, 3/03
- Reference Committee G (Medical Board) CMA House 3/98-99 Chair 3/00
- San Mateo County Mental Health Residency Education Committee 1998 - 2017
- SMCMH Professional Education/Training Committee, 1999 - 2017
- SMCMH Elder Death Review Committee, 2006 - 2012
- Santa Clara County Peer Review Committee, 2016 -
- SMCMH Public Forum Planning Committee 2001-2002.
- SMCMH/St. Matthew Episcopal School Christmas Giving Program 2001
- SMCMH/St. Matthew Episcopal School Valentine Giving Program 2003
- National Depression Screening Day, Palo Alto site screening, 1998.
- Calif. House Officers Medical Society President, 1995; (VP/Sec 1993-94)
- CHOMS Delegate, Annual Assembly, and Governing Council 1992-1995.
- Resident Physician's Section AMA 1992-1994; Delegation Chair 1994.
- Alternate Delegate, California, to the AMA 11/92-6/94. Delegate 12/94.
- Delegate, District XIII, to the CMA 3/93, 3/94; Delegation Chair 3/95.
- Reference Committee of CMA on Scientific/Education Activities 3/94
- CMA Speaker's Advisory Committee 10/94 -6/95.
- Resident's Council, Northern California Psychiatric Association 1993-95.
- CPA Council, Member in Training deputy rep 6/94 -6/95.
- CPA Annual Meeting Planning Committee, 1995.
- APA Assembly, Member in Training deputy representative 11/94-6/95.
- APA Constitution and Bylaws Committee, 11/94-6/95.
- Stanford Mentor Program 1991-1996 (Shadow Program Mentor 1992)
- Stanford Psychiatry Admissions Committee 1993-1995.
- Resident's Planning Committee, Resident's Retreat 1992, Chairman 1993.
- Resident Member of the Clinical Faculty Council 1992-1994. Others
- Harvard Medical School Admissions Committee, 1990.
- Collaborative Practice Committee, Children's Hospital SF 1989-1990.
- MIT Alpha Phi Financial Advisor, 1986-1987.
- 1986 (July-August), clinical research at the Stanford Neonatal ICU, with Dr. David Stevenson.
- 1988(May), radiation biology research at Massachusetts General Hospital, with Dr. Ed Epp and Dr. Kathy Held.
- 1990(July)-1992(June), radiobiology research at UCSF with William Morgan, PhD. Examined DNA misrepair on a cellular and molecular level.
- 1993(Jan)-1995(July), clinical research with Dr. James Hawkins with patients with traumatic brain injury.
- 1995(Jan)-1998, psychological testing research with Dr. James Moses, with patients with schizophrenia.
- Stevenson, D.K, Peterson, K.R., Yates, B.L, Benitz, W.E., and Gale, R., "Outcome of Neonate with Birth Weight of Less Than 801 Grams", Journal of Perinatology, 1988 Spring, 8(2):82-7.
- Morgan, W.F., Yates, B.L., Rufer, J.T., Columna, E.A., Valcarcel, E.R., and Phillips, J.W., "Chromosomal Aberration Induction in CHO Cells by Combined Exposure to Restriction Enzymes and X-Rays", 1990, International Journal of Radiation Biology, 60(4):627-34.
- Morgan, W.F., Valcarcel, E.R., Columna, E.A., Winegar, R.A., and Yates, B.L., "Induction of Chromosome Damage by Restriction Enzymes during Mitosis", 1991, Radiation Research, 127: 101-106.
- Yates, B.L., Valcarcel, E.R., and Morgan, W.F., "Restriction Enzyme Induced DNA Double Strand Breaks as a Model System for Cellular Responses to DNA Damage", 1992, International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, and Physics, 23:993-998.
- Yates, B.L., and Morgan, W.F., "Non Homologous DNA End Rejoining and its Role in Chromosome Aberration Formation", 1993, Mutation Research 285:53-60.
- Sachs, R.K., Yates, B.L., Tarver, J., and Morgan, W.F., "Computer Modeling of Polycentric Chromosome Aberrations", International Journal of Radiation Biology, in press.
- Columna, E.A., Giaccia A.J., Evans, J.W., Yates, B.L., and Morgan, W.F., "Analysis of Restriction Enzyme Induced Chromosomal Aberrations by Fluorescent In Situ Hybridization", 1993, Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis, 22:26-33.
- Yates, B.L., Marder, B.A., and Morgan, W.F., "Kinetics of Exchange Aberration Formation by Restriction Enzymes and X Rays", International Journal of Radiation Biology, submitted.
- Cox, Paul D. and Yates, Barbara L., "Thoughts on Moonlighting", Northern California Psychiatric Physician, October 1993, p.6, and response to Letters to the Editor, January 1994, p.12.
- Yates, B.L., and Koran L.M., "Epidemiology and Recognition of Neuropsychiatric Disorders in Public Mental Health Settings", in Neuropsychiatry and Mental Health Services, Ovsiew, F, Editor, APP publishers, 1999, p 23-46.
- Winegarden, B.J., Yates, B.L., Moses,J.A., Benton, A.L., and Faustman, W.O., "Development of an Optimally Reliable Short-Form for Judgment of Line Orientation", The Clinical Neuropsychologist 1998 12(3), p. 311-314.
- Yates, B.L. "I Make House Calls", 1998, The Journal of the California Alliance for the Mentally Ill, 9(3):63-68.
- Yates, B.L. "Home Visits: A Thing of the Past… Or the Future?", 1999, San Mateo County Medical Association Bulletin, 48(1):9,13.
- Yates, B.L. President's Column, (six essays), Northern California Psychiatric Physician, July 2002-May 2003, 43(4-6):1-2.
- Sonner, B Yates, "Seeking Other Options for Those of Us with Mental Illness", Guest Opinion, Palo Alto Weekly, April 27, 2005, p. 25.
- Yates, B.L. "Report on the 2007 House of Delegates of the California Medical Association, 2007, California Psychiatrist, 22(4); "Focus for the Upcoming Year", 2008, 23(2); "2008 California Medical Association House of Delegates", 2008, 23(4); "Are We Heroes?", 2009, 24(1); "Fulfilling Our Roles", 2009, 24(3); "Report on the 2009 CMA House of Delegates 2009, 24(4); "APA 2010 Advocacy Day" , "2010 Advocacy Day", 2010, 25(1), "Calling All Colleagues", 2010, 25(3), "CPA Working for You", 2010, 25(4), "You Can't Get a Man with a Gun", 2011, 26 (1), "How Far Can We Cut?", 2011, 26(2), "Council Highlights", 2011, 26(3), "Get Involved in 2012!", 2011, 26(4), "In Closing…", 2012, 27(1), "The Importance of Psychiatric Representation in the California Medical Association (CMA)", 2012, 27(4).
- Weissman, B. 2014, "California Medical Association Meeting", California Psychiatrist, 29(4), "APA Assembly Summary", 2015, 30(2), "CMA Communique", 2015, 30(3), "APA Fall Assembly Review", 30(4), "Participate in Policy Making, 2016, 31(1), "A Peach of a Meeting", 2016, 31(2), "APA Assembly Meeting Report", 2016, 31(4), "California Medical Association Updates: CMA "On Call"", 2017, 32(1), "CMA Busy With Issues Important to Psychiatry", 2017, 32(2), "APA Assembly Highlights" 32(2), and "Implicit Bias" 32(2). "New Health Laws in 2018", 2018, 35 (1), "Single Payer, Scope, and Substance Abuse – APA Assembly 2018" and "Caution: a Couple of Current Attempts at Containing Healthcare Costs That Could Be Counterproductive!" 2018, 35(4).
- Weissman, B., 2017, "Implicit Bias", San Mateo County Physician, 6(4),2017, "Firearm Violence and Prevention", 6(8) 2017, "Who Should Control Healthcare?"6(9) 2018. "CURES: One Piece of the Opioid Puzzle", 6(10) 2018.
Presentations, Lectures And Teaching
- "The Late Effects of Radiation Therapy", Pathology Department Grand Rounds, Peter Brent Brigham Hospital, Massachusetts,1988.
- "Chromosomal Aberration Induction in CHO Cells by Combined Exposure to Restriction Enzymes and X-rays", presentation at Environmental Mutagenesis Society, Florida, Spring 1991.
- International Radiation Research Meeting, Toronto, Summer 1991, poster on interaction between radiation and restriction enzymes.
- "Radiotherapy 2001: Molecular Directions into the Future", Stanford, Fall 1991, presented 2 posters on chromosome aberration formation with restriction enzyme treatment.
- "Restriction Enzymes as a Model System for DNA Damage and Repair", seminar speaker, Medical Genetics Research Group at UCSF, 11/91.
- "Non Homologous DNA End Rejoining and its Role in Chromosome Aberration Formation", presentation at Environmental Mutagenesis Society, Reno, Spring 1992.
- "Modeling Polycentric Chromosome Aberrations", poster at Radiation Research Meeting, Utah, Spring 1992.
- "Modeling DNA Damage by Restriction Enzymes", invited speaker, Radiation Biology Grand Rounds, Stanford Medical Center, April 1992.
- "Restriction Enzymes as a Model System for DNA Damage and Repair", presented at Radiation Oncology Grand Rounds, University of California, San Francisco, April 1992.
- "Restriction Enzymes as a Model System for DNA Damage and Repair", American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology Annual Meeting, San Diego, November 1992.
- Psychiatry 211, Small Group Leader for Medical Students 1993.
- Psychiatry 211, Discussion Group Leader for Medical Students 1995.
- Psychiatry Core Clerkship "DSM-III-R Diagnostic Formulation",6/93-6/95
- Psychiatry Core Clerkship "Mood Disorders","Mental Status Exam", 94-95
- Resident Course for PGY II's, "Organic Brain Syndromes", Summer 1993
- Lecture, PGY III's "Traumatic Brain Injury", November 1994
- "Development, Validity and Reliability Analysis of Short-Forms of Three Bentonian Perceptual Tests", Poster presentation at NAN, October 1996.
- "Difficulties in Diagnosis and Treatment of Depression in the Elderly", San Mateo County Peer Counselors in service training, December 1997.
- "Developing Yourself and Your Practice", Northern California Psychiatric Society Annual Meeting, panelist, April 1998.
- "Issues in Psychiatric Treatment of the Elderly", San Francisco City College course on Gerontology, guest lecturer, April 1998.
- "Psychiatric Medications: The Basics" Older Women's Health Summit II, San Mateo County Health Services Agency, September 1998.
- "Meeting the Health Needs of Older Women", panelist, Gender Matters: A System of Services and Treatment for Women's Mental Health in California, CEWAER and the California Institute of Mental Health, December 1998.
- "Nurturing the Nurturer", A Woman's Health Summit, Yolo and Solano Counties, May 1999.
- "Home Visits for Elderly Patients", local AMI talk, May 1999.
- "Women and Mental Illness" CAMI documentary, segment on Older Women, 1999.
- "Psychiatric Medication", lecture to San Mateo County residential care owners and operators, June 2000.
- "Dementia and Depression in Older Adults", Women's Health Initiative Older's Women's Committee, presentation to primary care providers, April 2001.
- "Mental Health Services for the Elderly in San Mateo County Including Home-Based Psychiatric Services", Geropsychiatry Seminar, Menlo Park VA, July 2001.
- Career Day speaker, Miramonte High School, Orinda, California, spoke to several classes of high school students about careers in mental health, May 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003.
- "Ask the Doctor", California Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting, for the California Alliance for the Mentally Ill, 1997 - 2001.
- Panelist for Early Career Psychiatrist Mentoring dinner, "Psychiatric Career Pathways", California Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting, Palm Springs, California, October 2001.
- "A Crisis in Care for Adults with Dementia and Behavioral Disturbances", San Mateo County Public Forum,speaker, February, 2002.
- "Dementia; differential diagnosis and care", lecture to San Mateo County residential care owners and operators, March 2002.
- "Medication Update", San Mateo County Peer Counselors in-service, November 2002.
- "Overview of Dementia", San Mateo County Peer Counselors/Aging and Adult Services/ in-service, May 2003.
- "Psychosis", San Mateo County residential care owners, 2003.
- Chairperson, "Psychopharmacology of Headache and Anxiety Disorders", Scientific and Clinical Report Session 26, APA Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA May 2003.
- "Undue Influence: a Problem in the Assessment and Care of Elderly Patients", Geropsychiatry Grand Rounds at the Menlo Park VA, December, 2003.
- "Aging: Issues, Treatment, Challenges, and Rewards", San Mateo County Employee Training, November 2004.
- "Sleep", San Mateo County Peer Counselors in-services, January 2005.
- "Sleep, An Overview", San Mateo County Psychiatric Grand Rounds, February 2005.
- "Sleep, An Overview", Mills Peninsula Psychiatric Grand Rounds, April, 2005.
- "Depression in Older Adults", Forum on Depression in the Elderly, San Mateo County Employee Training, May 2007.
- "Psychosis", talk to Board and Care Operators in San Mateo County, September 2009.
- "Psychiatric Medications", talk to Board and Care Operators in San Mateo County, February 2010.
- "How Medications Affect Us as We Age", San Mateo County Mental Health Board, Older Adult Forum, June, 2010.
- "Bringing Psychiatric Care to the Community", Harvard Medical School,25th Reunion Symposium, May, 2013.
- "Serving the Same Populations: Collaborating for Better Outcomes", American Psychiatric Association 66th IPS, October, 2014.
- "Bridging Spirituality Within Clinical Practice", panelist, San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services Grand Rounds, February, 2016.
- "Suicide Prevention Among Older Adults", panelist, San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services Grand Rounds, September, 2016.
- "Reducing the Risk of Suicide in Older Adults", panelist, San Mateo County Community Talk, September 2017.
- "Psychiatric Medications", talk to Board and Care Operators in San Mateo County, November 2017.
- "Select Updates in Organized Medicine", Department of Psychiatry Grand Rounds, Santa Clara County, March 2018.
- "Legislative Issues and Organized Medicine", Mid Peninsula Psychiatric Society, March 2018.
- "Managing Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias", talk to Baord and Care Operators in San Mateo County, October 2018.
- "Psychotropic medications and substance abuse issues in the elderly", San Mateo County Peer Counselors Training, twice yearly 2002 - .
San Mateo County:
- Resident Supervision on Senior Mental Health Service 7/96 –
- Resident lecture on Dementia and Delirium 1/00
- Resident lecture on Dementia and Depression, 5/01
- Resident lecture on Psychopharmacology in the Elderly, 6/01
- Resident lecture on Geriatric Psychiatry, 9/04, 9/06. 4/17, 10/18
- Resident lecture on Elder Abuse 10/18
“The Importance of Diversity”, California Psychiatrist, in press
“CURES: One Piece of the Opioid Puzzle”, San Mateo County Physicians 2018
Single Payor, Scope, and Substance Abuse, APA Assembly, 2018
“Who Should Control Health Care?”, San Mateo County Physicians 2018
“Caution: A Couple of Current Attempts At Containing Healthcare Costs That Could Be Counterproductive!”, California Psychiatrist, 2018
“New Health Laws in 2018”, California Psychiatrist, 2018
“Firearms Violence and Prevention”, San Mateo County Physicians 2017
“Implicit Bias”, San Mateo County Physicians 2017
“Payor Issues”, San Mateo County Physicians 2017
“The California Tobacco Tax: What Happened After The
Voters Passed The Initiative”, California Psychiatric
President's column, CPA, 2010